Prep Time 15min Cook Time 20-25min
This is delicious with lentil soup or chili, and quite sweet - cut the sugar a bit if it feels wrong to serve something vaguely cakelike with dinner.
What you'll need
- 1 1/4 cups cornmeal
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (or half as much table salt)
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted, then cooled slightly
Yields 8 to 12 pieces
How to make it
- Heat oven to 425 and either grease a 9-by-9-inch cake pan or put an equivalent-sized greased cast-iron skillet into the oven to heat. Whisk together dry ingredients in one bowl and wet ingredients in another.
- Add the dry to the wet and stir just until moistened. Scrape batter into the pan and tilt it around a bit to level. Bake until bread is golden and not at all jiggly, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes.